Two persons, Motunrayo Olasebikan and Abideen Adefisayo Tijani have been arraigned before Justice Ladiran Akintola of the Oyo State High Court in Ibadan for alleged involvement in a visa scam.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting the suspects on a seven-count charge of conspiracy, forgery and uttering.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Thursday by the agency’s spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren.
According to the commission, Olasebikan claimed to be a school proprietress in the state capital.
“That you: Olasebikan Motunrayo and Tijani Abideen Adefisayo on or about September 2018, at Ibadan within the Ibadan Judicial division of this Honourable Court, did make document titled: “Electronic Travel Authorisation” “No. J511464256” in the name of one Adediran Pamilerin Adedayo purporting it to have been issued by the Canadian High Commission on the 6th of July, 2016 and expiring on 6th of June, 2021 with the intent that it may be acted upon as genuine, which you knew to be false and thereby committed an offence,” the statement partly read.
Their arraignment followed a petition from one Inumidunsola Popoola who wrote on behalf of himself and other victims.
Popoola alleged that sometimes in February 2018, he and three others were tricked by the defendants into parting with monies running into millions of naira for processing travel documents.
The suspects, he added, presented themselves to be registered travel agents licensed to undertake the task.
He further alleged that though they were given some documents as agreed, it was later discovered that the papers were forged as they were turned down at the point of traveling.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them.
Following their plea, prosecution team led by Dr. Ben Ubi prayed the court for a trial date and an order to remand the duo in custody pending the trial date.
Similarly, the defence counsel, A. B. C. Ademiluyi and S. O. Alli, prayed the court for a short adjournment to hear the bail applications of their respective clients.
Justice Akintola subsequently adjourned the case to October 7 for hearing of the bail applications and ordered that the accused be remanded at the EFCC’s custody.
Residents of the Iju-Ishaga area of Lagos were on Thursday afternoon sent into a panic as a rancorous explosion rocked the neighborhood.
What started out as a wet and rather calm day quickly turned into a frenzy at about 3:30 pm when a loaded gas tanker exploded around the Iju Hill axis of Ajuwon road.
Some witnesses say at least one person died in the blast that left 16 others critically injured. Also destroyed were scores of buildings and many cars, some beyond repair.
A Damaged Tanker?
Speaking to Channels Television on Thursday at the site of the explosion, LASEMA’s Director of Operations, Engr Olatunde Akinsanya said the 16 injured persons were taken to the Iju Water Works clinic.
Akinsanya revealed that the ill-fated 30 ton LPG tanker which was being operated by Manna Gas Ltd, was supposed to offload its content at a gas station, but the station’s owner reportedly refused to allow him because a seal had been broken, indicating that the content had been tampered with.
Enraged by the refusal of the station manager to offload the content in his tanker, the driver moved out of the premises.
A few meters away from the gas station, the front tire of the tanker burst and the gearbox compartment struck the ground causing a spark that led to an explosion when it came in contact with gas that was leaking from the tanker.
The vehicle ended in a ditch, where a second explosion erupted.
Eyewitnesses told Channels Television that the second explosion sent the tanker flying and destroying buildings in its path, including a church.
The impact of the explosion spread about 300 radii from the scene of the incident, the LASEMA official said.
It was not yet clear at the time of reporting this story whether the driver of the tanker was still alive as he seemed to have sustained third-degree burns.
“I would have died with my children”
Narrating her close shave with death, Mrs. Maduka Lovelyn, a fruit seller said she had just returned from the market and was arranging her wares when the first blast erupted.
Mrs. Maduka and her kids were tending to customers when they saw a thick cloud of smoke rising a few meters from where her stall is situated.
The perturbed mother said she and her children were lucky to have escaped because they fled at the first cry of “fire! fire!” by some other residents who were closer to the blast spot.
“We were scared as we saw the smoke, it was too much,” Mrs. Maduka stressed as she revealed how it took a race through marsh and mud to get her family to safety.
Increasing casualty figures
Earlier in the day, the Lagos State Government had put the casualty figure at 16, however, a post-disaster assessment late on Thursday revealed that the total number of casualties is 30, consisting of 10 adult females and 20 adult males.
The report further shows that two of the 16 in critical conditions have been referred to the General Hospital in Ikeja.
LASEMA figures suggest that a total of 23 buildings were destroyed in the blast, while 15 vehicles were left with varying degrees of dents.
Prominent among the buildings destroyed are the X and Y Event Center and the Idera Oluwa Plank Market.
Eleven people were killed, and two others injured in a road accident along the Calabar-Mbarakom-Awi highway in Cross River State.
The Sector Head of Operations, Deputy Corps Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Mathew Egbe, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.
He blamed the accident on over speeding on the part of the driver with the passengers in the vehicle.
“The accident occurred along the Calabar-Mbarakom-Awi highway. The Hiase bus was conveying 13 passengers, 11 died while two sustained injuries,” he said.
“The accident that occurred this morning claimed 11 lives while two sustained injuries. The injured passengers were taken to the General Hospital in Akampka for treatment alongside the corps.”
Bayern Munich have won the 2020 UEFA Super Cup after beating Sevilla 2-1 courtesy of a Javi Martinez extra-time winner.
Having equalised with a crucial 120th-minute goal seven years ago when Bayern won the 2013 Super Cup on penalties against Chelsea, Martinez struck on 104 minutes at the Puskas Arena to hand the Champions League winners’ a fourth title in 2020.
After Lucas Ocampos converted an early penalty for Sevilla, Leon Goretzka equalised for Bayern, who had two second-half goals disallowed before substitute Martinez, 32, struck.
Having replaced Goretzka on 99 minutes, it was Martinez – linked to a return to Spain after losing a first-team place under Hansi Flick – whose header extends Bayern’s winning streak to 23 games dating back to February.
Bayern can win a fifth title this year next Wednesday when they host Borussia Dortmund in Munich for the German Super Cup.
There were a smattering of travelling Bayern and Sevilla fans among the 15,500 crowd in Budapest as both clubs played for the first time in front of spectators since the Covid-19 pandemic first hit Europe in March.
Champions League winners Bayern fell behind for the first time this season on 14 minutes when the VAR judged David Alaba had fouled Ivan Rakitic in the area and Ocampos converted Sevilla’s penalty.
Alaba was booked for the challenge, but replays showed Rakitic seemed to run into the Austrian defender.
There were nervous glances in the Germans’ ranks, especially when defender Benjamin Pavard and Thomas Mueller both missed chances.
Goretzka got Bayern back on level terms when Mueller and Robert Lewandowski combined in the area for the midfielder to smash home the equaliser with 34 minutes gone.
It stayed 1-1 at the break, but Bayern turned up the heat on the Europa League holders.
Just six minutes after the break, Lewandowski had the ball in the net after being set up by Thomas Mueller, but the VAR spotted the Poland striker was just the length a of a boot offside.
Then with an hour gone, Bayern winger Leroy Sane was left frustrated after his shot powered past Sevilla’s Moroccan goalkeeper Bono, but the VAR spotted Lewandowski had the lightest of touches on a Sevilla defender in the build up.
Bayern maintained the pressre, but with the 90 minutes almost up Manuel Neuer underlined his status as one of the world’s best goalkeepers with a finger-tip save to deny Youssef En-Nesyri after Sevilla attacked from the edge of their own penalty area.
Sevilla made a great start to extra-time with Bayern in all sorts of trouble, as Ocampos had a shot blocked while En-Nesyri’s shot clipped the post after crashing off Neuer’s leg.
However, the scene was set for Martinez, a veteran of the side which won the 2013 Champions League final in London, to add to his chapter in Bayern’s folklore.
Holders Manchester City needed a Phil Foden goal 15 minutes from time to see off Bournemouth 2-1 and reach the fourth round of the League Cup, while Liverpool ran riot in a 7-2 win at Lincoln on Thursday.
City have won the competition for the past three years, but Pep Guardiola admitted he had been forced to name a youthful side to prioritise their Premier League campaign due to a shortened pre-season and a series of positive coronavirus tests.
Liam Delap, son of former Stoke midfielder Rory Delap, took just 18 minutes to score on his City debut with a fine finish into the top corner from Foden’s pass.
However, the lead lasted just four minutes as Bournemouth’s Sam Sturridge spun inside the City box before firing into the far corner.
Guardiola introduced the artillery he had on the bench after half-time in Kevin de Bruyne and Raheem Sterling, but it was another first-team regular in Foden who made the breakthrough after Riyad Mahrez’s shot came back off the post. City will travel to Burnley in the last 16.
Liverpool will face Arsenal twice at Anfield in three days next week after Jurgen Klopp’s much-changed side hit Lincoln for seven with Takumi Minamino and Curtis Jones both scoring twice.
Xherdan Shaqiri opened the floodgates with a brilliant free-kick that clipped the underside of the bar.
Minamino curled home to double the Premier League champions’ lead before Curtis Jones struck twice in four minutes to make it 4-0 before half-time.
A minute into the second-half, Minamino had his second, but League One Lincoln responded to get two goals to remember the night by.
Tayo Edun finished off a great team move and Lewis Montsma headed home a corner.
But Liverpool continued to find the net at the other end as Marko Grujic briefly made it 6-1 before Divock Origi rounded off the scoring.
Bertrand Traore marked his Aston Villa debut with a stunning side-foot volley to score his side’s second goal in a comfortable 3-0 win at Bristol City.
Anwar El Ghazi opened the scoring 11 minutes in before Traore showed why Villa spent £17 million ($21 million) to sign him from Lyon last week with a cute finish from a narrow angle.
Another Villa new boy Ollie Watkins then grabbed his first goal for the club 17 minutes from time as Dean Smith’s men set up a last 16 clash with Stoke.